Wednesday, May 18, 2016

The GLOG: Alchemy and Oozes

Here's an 18-page PDF about alchemy and oozes.  It's a lot longer than I originally intended, and yet, there are still things that I could add.


I tried to make a super-usable d100 table of potions.  They all have details on potion appearance and taste, which I'm not sure I've seen before.  I tried to make all the details give strong enough clues that players would have a strong hunch what the potion did (or at least when they should drink it) without giving it away 100%.  That's more fun than some fucking identify spell, methinks.

In terms of the d100 potion list, I'm not 100% happy with it, but I think I did a good job of hitting all my goals.

There's also a bunch of lore fluff (alchemical oblates) and random shit that is ripe for importing into your game (alternatives to potions, sludge vampires).  Actually, I hope all of this stuff is easily adaptable to your game.

Most of the stuff in here is not new stuff.  It's old stuff that has been organized and touched up.

If you've read all of my blog posts ever, here are the things in this document that you haven't seen before:

-Potion Appearances, Scents, and Tastes
-Alternatives to Potions
-Alchemical Oblates

by Svetlin Velinov

6 comments:

  1. Awesome. I was going to put something together for my own game. Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to let you know, I played a bit with one of my friends as a demon blade, slightly altered, in this system, and he loved it. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can not tell you how much I love the concept of an alchemical oblate; it's honestly something I feel compelled to insert in every game I run from here on out. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What systems would you say this is usable for? I run D&D 3.5 and play in Pathfinder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's written for OSR-type games (B/X, maybe 1e) but It would be great for 3.5/PF with some adaptation. If you're familiar with the system, you could even do the conversions at the table (just keep track of what your rulings are).

      Delete